Thursday, July 24, 2008
Pottery Should Not Be By Me
I must take a quick break from all my talk of kids and such to comment on something I did. So, (as those of you who read some of my other friends' blogs already know) a couple of weeks ago, several of my friends and I decided to get together to paint pottery. We went to a place called Pottery By You. This outing was actually partly my idea. I had done this before. Even though someone helped me draw the picture on my plate, I was the one who painted it, and it turned out wonderfully. So this should be no big deal. I'm an old pro. Right? Wrong. We had a great time painting. I picked out a utensil holder. I saw something else in the store that I liked, and tried to copy the pattern. I must admit, though, that I already had concerns that mine might not turn out the way I had envisioned it. Let's just call it a gut feeling. But yesterday, when Katie brought me my work of art, I realized, Pottery should definitely not be by me. IT LOOKED HORRIBLE!!! My mind kept going back to that episode of Cosby (for you Cosby buffs), in which Claire and Denise take a pottery class together. They both pull out their pieces at the same time. Denise's is perfect, and Claire's is, well, not perfect, to say the least. I would say that if I continue to try, I will eventually improve. But I actually think that the first piece was beginner's luck. I think next time I will leave the painting to everyone else, and I'll go along for the conversation! The sad thing is that I believe this is payback for me. When I had gone previously, my Mom was with us. After diligently working for at least two hours, she had completed ONE coaster. On top of that, she couldn't get satisfied with the pattern, so at the last minute she painted it red. So all she had to show for all that work was ONE RED COASTER. I have enjoyed telling that story, many times, in great detail, and laughing (of course in love). Well, here's your payback, Mom. At least she's not embarrassed to exhibit a red coaster. I've learned my lesson. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do with a piece of pottery that I didn't even show my husband? I may "accidentally" let Meg carry it around outside. Maybe she will "accidentally" drop it on the driveway.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Ummm...don't complain too much...you haven't seen my salt and pepper shakers yet!!
Heh heh I want to see your work of art! I bet it's not as bad as you think it is.
I haven't seen my frog yet- Ash was supposed to pick it up while we were out of town. There's probably a good chance that it can come live with your utensil holder in pottery heaven though! At least we had a good time creating our works of disaster!!
Where's the picture of it, blog girl?!!!
Post a Comment